Hurricane Property Preparation Checklist
- Make sure your vehicles have full gas tanks.
- If you have to leave a vehicle behind, make sure it is not in a low lying area prone to flooding.
- Top off or fill fuel tanks for outdoor grills in case they become your primary cooking appliance.
- Stake small trees, shrubs and garden plants that could break in strong wind.
- Any home ornamentation such as flags, wreaths or wind chimes should be stowed away.
- Bring in any lawn furniture or grills.
- Portable basketball backboards should be wheeled into the garage or laid down and firmly staked to the ground.
- Mobile home dwellers should check tie downs and leave the mobile home as soon as possible.
- Make sure pool covers are secure.
- Check to see that storage building doors are closed and secure.
- Secure shutters on windows and doors, if you have them. If not, cut ½ inch plywood panels to cover these openings. Marine plywood is best; do not use particle board. Pre-drill holes every 18 inches for screws in advance of putting up the plywood.
- Trim dead or weak branches from trees and clear similar debris from the ground around your home.
Blog Home - View a list of all of our articles